The Big VR Movie Weview

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

14th Aug 2011 at 7:32 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: I C*nt Spell, Aug 2011
I watched 127 hours today. It's based on a true story about a rock climber who got his arm trapped between two rocks in a canyon in Utah and had to cut it off with a blunt multipurpose knife. It was really interesting and well put together with minimal gore and lots of character development. I'm always dubious about whether films that only have one location will be able to hold my attention but James Franco gave a very emotional performance and was typically sexy as usual. I do think the integrity of the film would have suffered if they'd had a less attractive actor though.

In fact I've had something of a James Franco binge this weekend because I also watched Your Highness with him and that dude with the curly hair who plays the drug dealers dealer in Pineapple Express. It's a comedy in the chivalry genre with knights and dwarves and wizards and all that jazz and it's really easy watching. The storyline isn't particularly original or mind blowing but the dialogue makes it what it is, which is a very funny film.

Of the two I'd recommend Your Highness.

Franco is also the star of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I would recommend. It's a pretty awesome movie. Credit especially to how well it's built up. It isn't just "normal normal normal normal APES EVERYWHERE!", it really builds up nice and slow. Great movie
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st Aug 2011 at 7:24 pm

I aim to misbehave

Saw The Inbetweeners movie. Very funny. Does fall into certain cliches, but still throws some great moments into it.

Some d*ckhead in the cinema kept shouting out things though. Worst part was he'd do this funny laugh after which made everyone else laugh, meaning a) I couldn't find where he was when i turned round (I was fairly up the front too) and b) it's a lot harder to give out to someone for talking in the cinema after everyone laughed at him.

But yeah, chances are if you go to see it, he won't be there. Worth seeing though, even if you only have little knowledge of the show.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Aug 2011 at 9:40 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Maeby, Aug 2011
You should all watch Horrible Bosses.

That is all!

Funny film indeed.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

22nd Aug 2011 at 12:41 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Quote: Buster, Aug 2011

That is all!

Funny film indeed.

Oh gosh - I did not like "Horrible Bosses" so much. It is pretty disappointing, I think - lots of bits were realy funny and smart, but also lots of jokes are really rude and yucky too. - It is sort of cheating a tiny bit, I think! Rude jokes are lots too easy!
Also, all the main characters are really horrible and annoying - I really liked all the bosses lots more, I think!

I saw "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" at the cinema on thursday - it is really good! It is really beautiful and sad and hopeful, and also "no!" was the most amazing thing. Everyone gasped! It is my 3rd bestest movie in 2011, I think. It is really neat everything is really slow and careful, and also everything is really important too.

Quote: the doc, Aug 2011
I think that the vast, vast majority of contemporary horror films are a total bag of sh*te, but while I'm here I'd just like to plug House of 1000 Corpses, which I rewatched earlier this month. Cracking film, that. Devil's Rejects is a bit nasty for my liking though.

I really like "Splice" and "The Children", and also "Black Swan" is like a horror movie too, I think.
Lots of Spanish horror movies are really amazing now - they are really creepy and dark and different, I think - it is like "The Orphanage", "Julia's Eyes", "Rec" and "The Others".

Edited by Little Blue Fox. Sept 2011
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

1st Sept 2011 at 10:41 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Quote: Eerie., Aug 2011
Quote: Buster, Aug 2011

That is all!

Funny film indeed.

Oh gosh - I did not like "Horrible Bosses" so much. It is pretty disappointing, I think - lots of bits were realy funny and smart, but also lots of jokes are really rude and yucky too. - It is sort of cheating a tiny bit, I think! Rude jokes are lots too easy!
Also, all the main characters are really horrible and annoying - I really liked all the bosses lots more, I think!

I saw "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" at the cinema on thursday - it is really good! It is really beautiful and sad and hopeful, and also "no!" was the most amazing thing. Everyone gasped! It is my 3rd bestest movie in 2011, I think. It is really neat everything is really slow and careful, and also everything is really important too.

Quote: the doc, Aug 2011
I think that the vast, vast majority of contemporary horror films are a total bag of sh*te, but while I'm here I'd just like to plug House of 1000 Corpses, which I rewatched earlier this month. Cracking film, that. Devil's Rejects is a bit nasty for my liking though.

I really like "Splice" and "The Children", and also "Black Swan" is like a horror movie too, I think.
Lots of Spanish horror movies are really amazing now - they are really creepy and dark and different, I think - it is like "The Orphanage", "Julia's Eyes", "Rec" and "The Others".

"Pontypool" is a really amazing horror movie too, I think. - It is really neat and different. It is really like a radio play, I think. - It is a zombie movie, but all the zombies and apocalypse things are lots of news updates and telephone conversations. It is really creepy and nervous because everything is really unseen and quiet, I think - lots of conversations and people stop really suddenly.
It is lots of neat ideas about language and identities too. The zombie virus is passed throught lots of words - some languages are really safe, but lots of other languages are really dangerous and unpure.
Please can I recommend it for everyone?

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

5th Sept 2011 at 11:11 am

I aim to misbehave

Title: Red State
Genre: Thriller/Drama/Comedy
Good actors: Michael Parks and John Goodman are both awesome, Parks especially. He really plays it up and is pretty chilling
Products Placements: Jesus. Religion
Minutes too long: None. Time pretty much flies once it gets going. Church scene was maybe a little too long
Deaths: Yes.
Attractive males: Probably. I dunno
Attractive females: Only really Kerry Bishe (the one who took over from JD in the new Scrubs), but being religious, she's not exactly wearing low-cut tops. Shorts are pretty short though, which makes sense I suppose.
Best Quote: Abin Cooper: I fear God. You better believe I fear God.
Highlight: Enough twists so that you never really know what'll happen. Goodman's scene at the end is pretty cool and engrossing. Michael Parks' performance is brilliant though. And the clingfilm bit is pretty cool. Some nice casting for minor roles in the film like Skylar and Badger from Breaking Bad, and Kevin Pollack.
Lowlight: Camerawork can be a bit all over the place during the action parts. One or two parts where Michael Parks maybe acts a bit too cheery, making him more annoying than terrifying. Still not completely sold on the final ending though
Score: 9 good Kevin Smith films out of 10 (because Cop Out was sh*t, and yes, I did like all the other ones)

I really enjoyed this. Taking aside from the fact that I like Kevin Smith's work, the first 10-15 minutes which is the usual Kevin Smith stuff, is the weakest part. The rest is very different and pretty unrecognisable from what Smith normally does, and you'd be hard pushed to guess it was by Kevin Smith without that prior knowledge (well, his wife is in the film but if you didn't recognise her). But overall, some great moments, Parks and Goodman are terrific and most of the supporting cast are great too. Worth watching I reckon.

Also, watched Fast and Furious 5 yesterday. Awesome. Just disappointed they keep acknowledging that the second and third films exist. Much rather if it was just 1 (the best), 4 and 5.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

17th Sept 2011 at 1:18 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Title: Thor
Genre: Comic Book Adventure
Good actors: Stringer Bell Idris Elba.
Products Placements: None that I noticed
Minutes too long: About right. Could've been longer to have better character development, o 10 minutes shorter to just showcase the action.
Deaths: Yes.
Attractive males: Chris Hemsworth, Idris Elba
Attractive females: Kat Dennings, Natalie Portman, Jaimie Alexander
Best Quote: You are no match for the mighty THOR!!!! *gets tased and collapses*
Highlight: The multiple bad-a*s battles.
Lowlight: The too-quick character development, the love story that appears out of nowhere, the general lack of it being an actual film...
Score: 6 Mjölnirs out of 10

A strange film. It's special effects are OK, but it falls into the trap of doing lots of needless panning shots over the "amazing" CGI landscape. The character development of Thor is sudden, one minute he's a crazy fighting dude, the next he's all wise and thoughtful.

The props look like crap, and the costumes are bloody awful.

There is also a distinct lack of semi-naked Kat Dennings. Come on, the ladies get a muscled Thor running around semi naked, wrestling in mud. Why can't we have Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman lezzing it up a little bit?

All the characters are very shallow, like cardboard cut outs. We don't know them, their motivations, and we don't care about them in the slightest.

Overall, a typical comic book summer action blockbuster - it fails a little bit in that it tries to be a bit thoughtful and fails. If it just admitted it was a mindless action film like Transformers, it would be a better experience. If it spent more time on making the characters more rounded, it would be a better movie.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Jan 2012 at 12:51 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

(Also, George reviewed it on page 86.)
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

16th Jan 2012 at 1:07 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Title:Sherlock Holmes 2
Genre: action adventure thingy
Tagline:
Basic plot: basically sherlock 1 but bigger and louder
Good actors: jude law (robert jr annoyed the hell out of me in this one)
Good characters: Watson, Moriarty
Products placements: erm..none i think
Minutes too long: nope
Deaths: a few baddies
Attractive females: the gypsy chick was quite nice
Attractive males: robert downey jr i guess
Soundtrack: same as the first film pretty much
Highlight: the train scene was a larf
Lowlight: the ending (it sucks)

My Score: 6/10
Never take life seriously.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Jan 2012 at 2:16 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Captain Stupendo, Jan 2012
Title:Sherlock Holmes 2
Genre: action adventure thingy
Tagline:
Basic plot: basically sherlock 1 but bigger and louder
Good actors: jude law (robert jr annoyed the hell out of me in this one)
Good characters: Watson, Moriarty
Products placements: erm..none i think
Minutes too long: nope
Deaths: a few baddies
Attractive females: the gypsy chick was quite nice
Attractive males: robert downey jr i guess
Soundtrack: same as the first film pretty much
Highlight: the train scene was a larf
Lowlight: the ending (it sucks)

My Score: 6/10

Really? I thought the ending was great. Moriarty stole the show for me though. Tremendous character and brilliant acting

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

22nd Jan 2012 at 11:44 am

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

I just hate endings like that they're so predictable.
Never take life seriously.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

27th Apr 2012 at 8:47 am

I aim to misbehave

Title: The Avengers (Avengers Assemble)
Awesome: Yes.
My Score: 10/10. I loved this f*cking movie. Pure balls-to-the-wall comic book movie. All the other have been movies based on comic books. This is probably the first one that really feels like a pure straight-up comic book without pages. Would have liked to have had a little more Cap & Hawkeye, but what we got was still great. And as good as I though Edward Norton was as the Hulk in the last film, Mark Ruffalo was f*cking brilliant. Hope he gets a full movie as Hulk.

Overall, if you liked the others (Thor, Iron Man especially), you should love this.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

1st Aug 2012 at 2:55 pm

I aim to misbehave

Is it possible that every time I watch Inception, someone sneaks into my room, replaces it with a slightly better, yet indistinguishably different version so that the next time I watch it, I think it's gotten better?

I mean, it's a long shot, but it would explain it.

Truly breathtakingly brilliant film. I think I'd actually put it above any of the Batman films as Nolan's best work.

Πανδώρα

| 15,328 posts

1st Aug 2012 at 8:37 pm

Πανδώρα -

I watched Charlie & the chocolate factory today, as it was on cartoon network or something.

i believe the dentist scene towards the end where willy (haaaaaaah, willy!) reunites with his father is one of the most disturbing and uncomfortable things i have ever watched.
*burp*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

1st Aug 2012 at 9:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Tyres, Aug 2012
Quote: Drew Brees, Aug 2012
Is it possible that every time I watch Inception, someone sneaks into my room, replaces it with a slightly better, yet indistinguishably different version so that the next time I watch it, I think it's gotten better?

I mean, it's a long shot, but it would explain it.

Truly breathtakingly brilliant film. I think I'd actually put it above any of the Batman films as Nolan's best work.

The Prestige is the one that I find myself watching and rewatching. Not sure if it is his best work, but I certainly find it the most inviting.

Inception's great, I do kind of worship Nolan. Can't wait to see what he does next because he hasn't made a bad film yet.

The Prestige is fantastic too. I actually had it written in the post above and took it out for some reason. Meant to rewatch it last week and forgot all about it. Haven't seen Memento in a while either.

Finally listened to Fatman on Batman/SModcast about The Dark Knight Rises. A good listen. That is one thing I do genuinely like about Kevin Smith, he notices small plot holes and can find unintentional humour in some parts, but at the end of it, he always focuses on the human side and the intended message of the film. Scott's a great balance for it too.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

21st Sept 2013 at 9:47 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i just Googled Hard Rock Zombies and it's got two stars on IMDB. i think the bad war film i was in has more stars than that.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

8th Jan 2014 at 11:43 am

I aim to misbehave

I saw The eHarmony PapaJohns of Walter Cinnabon last weekend. It was alright. Some good moments. Pity the story kept getting in the way of the product placement though. Hate when films do that. I know making movies is expensive and nowadays you have to try make the movie good for people who watch it, not just your advertisers, but story ruins the flow of the ads.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: