Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

8th Feb 2011 at 2:50 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Title: The Other Guys.
Genre: Comedy and detective movie.
Good actors: Will Ferrell, MArk Wahlberg, Eva Mendes, Steve Coogan, The Rock, Samuel L Jackson.
Products Placements: None.
Minutes too long: None.
Deaths: Yes.
Attractive males: Mark Wahlberg and The Rock?
Attractive females: Eva Mendes.
Best Quote:
"Hey! Hey! Shut your face! If I wanted you to talk, I would stick my hand up your a*se, and work your mouth like a puppet!".
Highlight: It is really funny, I think! - It is lots of story jokes, but also it is lots of surreal and random jokes too. Also, it is pretty sweet and hopeful, but also it is really spiky and mean, sometimes, too.
It is my funniest movie for really ages, I think - it is really weird lots of TV shows are really funny ans silly, but lots of comedy movies are sort of disappointing a tiny bit (i think - i am not sure it is true at-all).
Lowlight: The detective story is sort of boring a tiny bit. It is not so important, I think.
Score: 8 fresh starts out of 10.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

8th Feb 2011 at 4:00 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Ghosts vs. Robots., Feb 2011
Title: The Other Guys.
Genre: Comedy and detective movie.
Good actors: Will Ferrell, MArk Wahlberg, Eva Mendes, Steve Coogan, The Rock, Samuel L Jackson.
Attractive males: Mark Wahlberg and The Rock?
Attractive females: Eva Mendes.
Best Quote:
"Hey! Hey! Shut your face! If I wanted you to talk, I would stick my hand up your a*se, and work your mouth like a puppet!".
Highlight: It is really funny, I think! - It is lots of story jokes, but also it is lots of surreal and random jokes too. Also, it is pretty sweet and hopeful, but also it is really spiky and mean, sometimes, too.
It is my funniest movie for really ages, I think - it is really weird lots of TV shows are really funny ans silly, but lots of comedy movies are sort of disappointing a tiny bit (i think - i am not sure it is true at-all).
Lowlight: The detective story is sort of boring a tiny bit. It is not so important, I think.
Score: 8 fresh starts out of 10.

I actually really disliked The Other Guys. Well, not that I disliked it, but it really wasn't funny. Jackson and The Rock should have been given more time. Eva Mendes and Ferrell just felt wrong. Ferrell's character was all over the place. The baddies were terrible (Coogan was funny-ish, but had little to do and never felt like a baddie). Some bits were just utterly ridiculous and not funny enough to warrant being in the film (tramps in the car (as well as a deer's vagina. I mean, what the f*ck?), The bad guys stealing Ferrell and Wahlbergs shoes, the wooden gun). Oh yeah, and Ferrell managed to squeeze in a bit where he could sing, even though it was completely stupid. Why must he sing in everything lately? Is it in his contract? It wasn't even funny, and didn't even fit the scene. He's talking to Wahlberg while a group of old men are singing pub songs behind them. Then he says "Hold on, it's my verse" or something like that, then sings with the old guys, then goes back to the conversation. What the f*ck?

I thought it was average at best. Wahlberg and Keaton were the only two good things about the film.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

13th Mar 2011 at 11:23 am

Delirium Tremens -

Niomie was underwhelmed by the Big Lebowski last night. "It had really good characters but didn't do anything with them."

That film just always makes me happy.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Mar 2011 at 11:28 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Delirium Tremens, Mar 2011
Niomie was underwhelmed by the Big Lebowski last night. "It had really good characters but didn't do anything with them."

I almost think that's the point. There's no character development because the characters just want to get back to how they were. Always makes me happy too.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

13th Mar 2011 at 11:34 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Barrington, Mar 2011

I almost think that's the point. There's no character development because the characters just want to get back to how they were. Always makes me happy too.

Do you know what I like the most out of that whole film? It's a small thing, but Jeff Bridge's expression in the "Condition My Condition Was In" dream sequence.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Mar 2011 at 11:43 am

I aim to misbehave

Do you know what I like the most out of that whole film? It's a small thing, but Jeff Bridge's expression in the "Condition My Condition Was In" dream sequence.

Where he sees Saddam and the huge wall of bowling shoes especially. Always loved that little part of it

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

13th Mar 2011 at 11:49 am

Delirium Tremens -

Where he sees Saddam and the huge wall of bowling shoes especially. Always loved that little part of it

I know they've made objectively better films (I just did a Miller's Crossing/No Country for Old Men double bill the other night) but none that hits me in quite the same place.

That was actually the first time I'd seen No Country For Old Men, and I can't believe it won Best Picture at the Oscars. It was tense as hell, but really very funny in places.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 9:15 pm

Jewbacca -

The first is great, mind.
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hope is important.

Title: Pontypool.
Genre: Horror.
Good actors: Stephen McHattie, Lisa Houle.
Attractive males: None.
Attractive females: Laurel-Ann.
Best Quote: "Do not translate this message".
Highlight: It is really neat and different. It is really like a radio play, I think. - It is a zombie movie, but all the zombies and apocalypse things are lots of news updates and telephone conversations. It is really creepy and nervous because everything is really unseen and quiet, I think - lots of conversations and people stop really suddenly.
It is lots of neat ideas about language and identities too. The zombie virus is passed throught lots of words - some languages are really safe, but lots of other languages are really dangerous and unpure.
Also, the ending is really sudden and horrific, I think. It is really harrowing.
Please can I recommend it for everyone - it is really smart and creepy and different.
Lowlight: None.
Score: 8.5 marker pens out of 10.

Also, I saw "Killing Bono"* too - it is the most diappointingly misleading title, I think. I thought it was a documentary!

*not really.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

4th Apr 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hope is important.

It is going to be an "American Gods" movie pretty soon, maybe. I am really looking forward to it, I think, but I am really nervous too. - It is a really amazing book.
Also, I sort of hope The Rock is Shadow too - it woul be pretty cool, I think!

http://www.empireonline.com/News/story.asp?nid=30532

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

4th Apr 2011 at 8:51 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Ghosts vs. Robots., Apr 2011
It is going to be an "American Gods" movie pretty soon, maybe. I am really looking forward to it, I think, but I am really nervous too. - It is a really amazing book.

That would make a great film. Not sure about the Rock... how about an unknown who can act?

Jack Nicholson is Wednesday.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

4th Apr 2011 at 9:15 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Delirium Tremens, Apr 2011
Quote: Ghosts vs. Robots., Apr 2011

That would make a great film. Not sure about the Rock... how about an unknown who can act?

I actually don't mind The Rock as an actor. Especially in 'Walking Tall', which is one of my favourite "Good film to watch on a lazy day when you don't want to think, want to be entertained, and want everything wrapped up by the end without having to think about what the film may have been trying to say about modern-day society or major existential philosophies" films

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

4th Apr 2011 at 10:13 pm

Delirium Tremens -

I've nothing against the Rock, I just didn't see him as Shadow. He's best at playing cocky, demonstrative guys who get their pretensions pricked as the film goes on. Shadow hangs back, pretends to be dumber than he is and doesn't really exist unless another person's in the room with him.

Brittany Murphy for his wife?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

5th Apr 2011 at 5:47 am

I aim to misbehave

I've nothing against the Rock, I just didn't see him as Shadow. He's best at playing cocky, demonstrative guys who get their pretensions pricked as the film goes on. Shadow hangs back, pretends to be dumber than he is and doesn't really exist unless another person's in the room with him.

That might be difficult, I don't think she's really available. Unless it's CGI or a rope and pulley system. She's dead.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

5th Apr 2011 at 11:25 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Barrington, Apr 2011

That might be difficult, I don't think she's really available. Unless it's CGI or a rope and pulley system. She's dead.

Quote:
Shadow's wife Laura comes back in the form of a sentient animated corpse due to a special coin Shadow had acquired and placed on her coffin at her burial, not knowing the effect it would have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

5th Apr 2011 at 12:01 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Barrington, Apr 2011

Quote:
Shadow's wife Laura comes back in the form of a sentient animated corpse due to a special coin Shadow had acquired and placed on her coffin at her burial, not knowing the effect it would have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

Ah. I actually have no idea what American Gods is (I'll read the wiki link later). Hence why I also don't know if he'd be a good Shadow or not. Mainly because I don't know who Shadow is, but also because he's only half-black.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

5th Apr 2011 at 1:47 pm

Hope is important.

Christopher Lee would be really neat too, maybe?

Quote: The King Of Limbs, Apr 2011
I own American Gods but haven't read it yet, I really should.

Oh my gosh - you really should! Gogogo! Nownownow. It is really amazing, I think - it is really cool it is like lots of different books and stories mixed together.
Neil Gaiman is a really neat author, I think - all his books are really creative and dark and hopeful mixed together, I think. It is lots of creepy and different ideas and images.

Edited by Little Blue Fox. Apr 2011

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Apr 2011 at 12:53 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: The King Of Limbs, Apr 2011
Title: Glengarry Glen Ross
Genre: Drama
Good actors: Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Jonathan Pryce
Products Placements: Cadillacs and Steak Knives.
Minutes too long: None
Attractive males: errr Pacino? Baldwin?
Attractive females: I don't think there's any female characters in the film...
Best Quote: Pretty much the entire film but probably 'F*ck you! That's my name!'
Highlight: This is a cult classic. It's all about the fantastic dialogue being delivered by stellar actors working at the very top of their game. Jack Lemmon delivers a performance that directly inspired one of The Simpsons best characters, can there be any higher praise than that?
It's worth the 90 minutes of your time just to watch the kind of stellar ensemble cast that you rarely see.
Lowlight: None in my opinion but if you were to level any criticism at it it would be that it focuses entirely on dialogue possibly to the detriment of the plot.
Score: 9 coffees out of 10. (but only if you're a closer)

Love Glengarry Glen Ross. Unbelievable performances from everyone

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

3rd May 2011 at 10:47 am

Hope is important.

It is "Catfish" on More4 at 10pm today. - PLease can I recommend it for you? - It is really nervous and twisty, I think, but I am not sure it is true at-all.
It is really neat and interesting, and also it makes me think about Vegetable Revolution and Facebook lots too.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd May 2011 at 11:25 am

I aim to misbehave

I'm not going to do a full review thing as I'm on the phone, but Thor was actually a bit better than I expected. Quite funny, some good performances, Stringer from The Wire, Kat Dennings from my w*nk bank... Overall, not quite Iron Man 1, but definitely not Fantastic 4

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

3rd May 2011 at 11:31 am

Delirium Tremens -

I watched American Gangster last night. Was okay, a little bit generic. Denzel was great as usual.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

3rd May 2011 at 12:16 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Title: Fast and Furious 5: Rio Heist (or Fast Five).
Genre: Mindless Action Film.
Good actors: Paul Walker is the only person who you might describe as an "actor".
Products Placements: Subaru, Dodge, other car makers.
Attractive males: Paul Walker. Unless you are Laura McCartney then Vin Diesel.
Attractive females: Jordana Brewster is alright.
Best Quote: "ENHANCE!".
Highlight: Where the FBI use a satellite to get a picture of the main characters driving a car, it's all blurry and sh*t, so The Rock goes "enhance!", and suddenly it's all clear. But wait, they are wearing masks! oh noes, our amazing technology is defeated. Actually, just run it through out LMNOP-Technobabble software. Literally 2 seconds later the satellite has seen through the masks, and we have the full records of our guys, all known accomplices, and where they last had a sh*t.
Lowlight: No Eva Mendes or Devon Aoki, but other characters from the other films make an appearance.
Score: 1/10 or 10/10. It's so bad it wraps around an becomes good.

This is the perfect mindless action film. The stunts are crazy. Normally in a film where the main characters are driving towards a massive cliff and certain death, they try to avoid it. Not here, they just drive off and I sh*t you not surf the car down into the chasm below.

There are many more crazy, physically impossible stunts. Vin Diesel fighting The Rock is pretty good, but it's a total mismatch. I mean, Vin Diesel is a big guy - despite looking a little less cut than usual - but The Rock towers over him.

It does take itself a little too seriously at times, would be better if it was camped up a bit - but I don't think that would go down well with the core demographic...

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

11th May 2011 at 2:14 pm

I aim to misbehave

Short Review of Cedar Rapids:

Enjoyable film, but I wouldn't feel rushed about watching it again. Some good performances, but the whole thing felt too much like the writer enjoying his own humour too much, even though two of the funniest bits happened unintentionally due to a certain actor playing a certain role. Lowlight was probably that the story in general just wasn't that interesting, and again, the writer enjoying his own writing. Worth catching at some point, but if it's a choice between this and Thor, go see Thor.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

11th May 2011 at 3:52 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: The King Of Limbs, May 2011
Quote: Barrington, May 2011
Short Review of Cedar Rapids:

Enjoyable film, but I wouldn't feel rushed about watching it again. Some good performances, but the whole thing felt too much like the writer enjoying his own humour too much, even though two of the funniest bits happened unintentionally due to a certain actor playing a certain role. Lowlight was probably that the story in general just wasn't that interesting, and again, the writer enjoying his own writing. Worth catching at some point, but if it's a choice between this and Thor, go see Thor.

10 points to George. Some good Wire references in the film.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th May 2011 at 12:48 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

You have reviewed it before and it's on page 87.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: