Mega-Zine & VR - A Retrospective (Part 2)

Posted In: News. Reading This Thread:

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

23rd Feb 2009 at 1:05 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

See Part 1

Part 2
Over the course of 2002 the Yahoo group and the "new" vr battled for authority. By the end of 2002 almost everyone had moved to the new VR, and we had begun to outgrow the free webspace of my ISP. In this time I had actually become something of an "internet expert", and knew what to do next. We had to actually PAY for a server...

On December 25th 2002, I buy vegetablerevolution.com and move everything over. This starts the modern era of VR.

By now, I'm a little older, and interest my interest in VR wanes. My newfound internet skillz allow me to become a senior developer on the forum software I picked in the beginning. I'm more interested in working on their community than the one here. Away from the keyboard I wasn't a dosser at college anymore, I actually had a job, and a girlfriend, and rent to pay. VR became just another bill, and I even started to resent it. I worked hard on things, and people complained. Always complaining, all the time. It really got to me.

On the bright side, VR itself was flourishing. My aforementioned girlfriend was a directly caused by VR. This wasn't a singular occurance... In fact, inspired by The Ohio State University Sex Map - we compiled our own. It would turn out to be even more convoluted than anyone could possibly imagine... Updated as of 2009 (to the best of my knowledge...)

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/Main-VR-Sex-Map-2009-Anonymized.png]

It wasn't just random sex, we've had multiple children, and multiple marriages, and countless long-term serious relationships. All directly attributble to the relationships VR fostered. And without 'zine, there wouldn't be a VR.

I experimented with new things on the site, trying to capitalise on the newfangled trend of 'blogs' by trying to get the creative writers on here to... write something creative. They never really stuck. VR has been, and I guess always will be, a place to relax. Not a place to "work".

By the time we came into 2007, 'zine was looking unhealthy. Rumours abound that it was about to be cancelled. After a plea from WLW, we managed to save the very thing that brought us together. It would even be dragged into the modern era by having a newfangled thing called a "website" and an "RSS Feed".

By now I was back to hanging out on VR. I'd grown up enough to realise that I hated my job, grown bored of working on other peoples communities, and just wanted a doss about again. Seeing the newfangled stuff coming out of teletext, I whip up a site showcasing zine, in all it's old school analogue glory. Despite the telext technical bods being a bit slack on the quality of their feed, it works pretty well, saving the copier monkeys a thankless job.

Now, in 2009 there is no saving 'zine. Sad, but hardly the end of the world, the real sad story is WLW, being an actual honest to goodness person, has lost their job. It's a tough old world out there, and we all hope you land on your feet.

So, what will become of all this, now 'zine's over? Well, I'll go over that in part 3.

Fill in all the gaps of what I've said, and gossip as much as you want!

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 12:58 am

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Great idea, Andrames. I am meshing your two names, incase you don't understand what I did there. I think it actually makes a quite good name Anywhere, where was I?

I found 'Zine when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. At that time, we didn't have Teletext, so I could only read it when my Mum was at work (she worked in the shop next door and we got to sit upstairs watching the owner's HUGE at that time TV whilst eating whatever sweets we wanted, it was grrrreat). When we got Teletext, I would have been 14 or 15, and it was then that I was in the midst of my illness and away from school and any form of social interraction.

Under the pretense (pretense looks like it's spelt wrong, I'm confused) of studying I went to the library, set up my first e-mail account (which I still use today) and sent my first 'Zine e-mail. I think it was about lettuces. I had chosen the name Lilac Leopard for its alliterative properties and also because I liked purple and cats. I think it was printed, and I showed EVERYONE I knew. After a few weeks Yahoo VR was mentioned on 'Zine, and I Googled it. I think by then, I was just about to turn 16 so it would be late 2001/2002. That is a long time ago. I began e-mailing Le Enfant Terrible Paul because he had mentioned he was from near Rotherham, which is near me. I also began speaking to Phil Hippo and Adam Skutterbob about that time. After the Jonthepostman fiasco I started talking to more people, as everyone seemed to know who I was, and in April 2002, Adam told me to join the current VR. I was a GreenMod at some point, then I didn't have the net for a while, but then I came back and as predicted by many, I've taken over, innit Regards the 'Zine side of things during this time, I actually don't recall much other than transcribing 'Zine letters to the Megazine Yahoo group by hand like 2/3 days a week, which made me a little less interested in 'Zine if I'm honest. I stopped writing properly in about 2006 I think, because I was a little more grown up by then and had realised I had sh*t humour and imagination and nobody really cared if I wrote in anyway!

Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 1:24 am

Animal -

Quote: admin

August 2001 I got my first computer with external 56k dial up modem. Years later Darren would blow up this historic modem saying "I plugged it in, and it smelled of burning".

You will never let me live this one down, will you?

Stupid bloody multi voltage plugs.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 1:39 am

DARREN RUINS TECHNOLOGY SHOCKER!!!

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 1:44 am

Animal -

What? Contrary to popular opinion I never really have issues with electronic stuff.. Yeah I have the odd thing break once in a while, but that's usually down to age or me tinkering around with it. (bikes not included in this, Mr. Aitken - before you say anything! )

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 1:52 am

I didn't have an opinion previously. Above opinion is based on you breaking a modem. OMG etc. If you had broken it sooner VR might never have existed, you evil genius. Although you would have had to have met Andy some other way. Or maybe you could have travelled back in time. Either way, I'm watching you, Mr.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 2:51 am

Animal -

Nah I knew andy before I joined VR. Only by a week, but still.

Cycling Antics

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 1:42 pm

learrggh -

August 2001 I got my first computer with external 56k dial up modem. Years later Darren would blow up this historic modem saying "I plugged it in, and it smelled of burning".

This made me laugh.

How did you meet Andrew, Darren?

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 2:08 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel

This made me laugh.

I'm gonna guess that they met at work but knowing Darren it'll probably be far more complicated

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 3:45 pm

Animal -

Through Rachel.. Who I met on some Cable WebTV thing called Leisure District about 3 or 4 years earlier.

I was house sitting for my brother around 2001/2002 for a couple of weeks while he went to New York, myself and Rachel had agreed to meet up, since I was in Manchester, she asked James to join us. around a month later I joined ld Yahoo VR and somehow managed to get in with the mods and Fee and co, so then got offered the job of moderating the yahoo group for a while - Then James started work on this - told me to sign up and test it with him - I leaked the URL in a fit of rage one night when the Yahoo group was being flakey, as per and the rest, as they say is history.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 3:49 pm

Animal -

Quote: Enigmatic_Shrew
Quote: ApologeticSquirrel

This made me laugh.

I'm gonna guess that they met at work but knowing Darren it'll probably be far more complicated
Actually, James got me the job.. And I curse his name to this day for it.

Its shocking just how much this place has done for me, in terms of who I am and where I am right now though. Pretty sure I'm not the only one, either.

Cycling Antics

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 9:45 pm

Now our history is for sale....

Confession time- I started reading zine in about 1998/9 as an alternative to B*ckc*at... yes I was a Chatter >.>

Zine became my favourite though, so I was on the Zine side when the other one ended. Sent in a few different letters between the ages of 15-17 as Mrs Haggis the Lazy Camel, but I don't think any got printed. B*st*rds. Then I started writing in as Tooth of Wisdom because my wisdom teeth started hurting. Go figure. Still no b*st*rding printage. Hmph.

Still read Zine pretty regularly though.

Fast forward to 2003, when I meet Joanne (dotted line/aporkalypse) at uni. I kidnapped her to the pub, which thinking on it is how I started many friendships in this life. Meet all the old scots ziners sans George (still not met) and Alan. Read VR a fair bit but don't actually join.

Joined whilst bored one day in June 2005 just after exams when sneakily using a computer in Glasgow Uni Library (was at Strathclyde so used someone elses account). Was warned against it by certain members who had kinda left *coughlaurajocough* but ignored that advice.

Should I have taken it?

Maybe

So I started properly talking in Aug 2005 and made a pretty strong impression first off. Made alot of friends, most of whom have given up on me nowadays like Joel and Martin, but others like my first friend Lisa who I am still friendly with now! Then there is the AWESOME Alice and Alan, contributors to many a drunken rampage in Glasgow. How I miss you both

So yeah, after that I made alot of... judgemental errors (I wouldn't say they were mistakes cos thats not how I feel) relationship wise. There were 'instances' with a few people, like the Alan shocker My relationship with Gary, who I admit I treated pretty badly but he's not blameless, and then Stuart. Do I regret them? Not really. Should I? Probably.

So after various 'debates' and trysts I went from one of the most popular to one of the least liked VRers, gaining Gaz-like pariah status. Not realising how few friends I had left, Andrew and I thought we would mod me for a laugh which backfired, and I ended up leaving for oh about a year or so.

Still don't know why I came back, and honestly nothing much has changed, but I like to check in sometimes as there are still people I care about.

So overall, Zine led to VR for me. There have been alot of ups and downs over the years, but I have met some kick a*s people and been to some kick a*s places in the UK

Am I sad about Zine ending? Nah. I think it's had it's day, and the inane ramblings can continue here evermore. Most of us are growing up these days anyway, and it woulda died a death eventually. It had a good run.

Anyway, back to the show...
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

[http://furcadia.com/banners/images/DownloadB2.gif]

Vel

| 23,203 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 9:58 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Yeah, I miss drunken rampages too.

And who HASN'T had Alan?
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:00 pm

I'm pretty sure Darren hasn't, though you never know....
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Vel

| 23,203 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:02 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

You missed them at Christmas. Tongues tied like shoelaces!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

wombat

| 8,154 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:11 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

wait... Alice?

Alan?

Did I know that?
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Vel

| 23,203 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:20 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

So 2006, Mark. Wake up!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:22 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: The_Educatedwombat
wait... Alice?

Alan?

Did I know that?

Just kissing, so you know

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Feb 2009 at 10:25 pm

Quote: The_Educatedwombat
wait... Alice?

Alan?

Did I know that?

Poor old Mark, someone needs to make you a VRcyclopedia.

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 1:03 pm

Quote: fsc
Quote: Lemony_Zester

And who HASN'T had Alan?

Most people, really. You two are actually rather unique. Or mental.

... since there are two it cant be unique...
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 1:06 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Tooth_of__Wisdom
Quote: fsc
Quote: Lemony_Zester

And who HASN'T had Alan?

Most people, really. You two are actually rather unique. Or mental.

... since there are two it cant be unique...

Well, if it ain't the one, it's t'other...

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 1:09 pm

That was kinda my point.
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Vel

| 23,203 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 6:01 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Nothing wrong with being a mentalist. Well, there is if it means you take Alan by the tonsils or worse (CA ), but you know what I mean.

Up mentality!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Claire

| 15,814 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 10:00 pm

Hello, this is the On Topic Police, be on topic or ELSE.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 10:27 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Surely reminiscing about old times is on topic for a retrospective?

Claire

| 15,814 posts

22nd Feb 2009 at 10:36 pm

Vaguely but I doubt Andrew started the topic to illicit a page worth of stuff about how Caggie once kissed Alan, innit?

wombat

| 8,154 posts

23rd Feb 2009 at 12:02 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

BUT SO DID ALICE!!

okay, I have accepted this now.

Move on.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Vel

| 23,203 posts

23rd Feb 2009 at 12:06 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Carrie-Ann did more than kiss, I did not. DIFFERENT THINGS, PEOPLE!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

23rd Feb 2009 at 12:55 pm

If I'm where I think I am on that, the love map's about two years out of date
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Animal

| 32,547 posts

14th Mar 2009 at 12:28 pm

Animal -

Quote: pablomarmite

I've been killing myself to work out just where yourself, Dan and I fit in, I know at one point we had a small wee triangle between us..

Cycling Antics

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

14th Mar 2009 at 3:45 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: SHADOW_FIGHTER
Right, who the actual f*ck thinks that I f*cked That Thing?!

Pahaha. A number of people also think I've f*cked Leah. Wut.

Quote: girlpants
Quote: pablomarmite

I've been killing myself to work out just where yourself, Dan and I fit in, I know at one point we had a small wee triangle between us..

I used to have a copy with names of the full sex map, but it died when my old PC kicked the bucket.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

14th Mar 2009 at 5:25 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Right, who the actual f*ck thinks that I f*cked That Thing?!

Pahaha.  A number of people also think I've f*cked Leah.  Wut.

Holy b*ll*cks. Fantastic.

May I just take this opportunity to make it quite clear that I have never even met That Thing, never mind boned him, and would never have done so even when I was mates with him. jsyk.

I don't know, you do seem pretty suggestible.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

14th Mar 2009 at 9:23 pm

She's suggestible but she's not blind.

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:07 pm

I'm not blind either, just charitable

I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Claire

| 15,814 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:09 pm

If I have to disclaimer every time I express my disbelief that someone had sex with That Thing then I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave VR. Charity isn't an excuse, if you feel charitable, give money, not your faff, innit.

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:10 pm

I don't has any money

Maybe I shoulda asked him for some...

I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Claire

| 15,814 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:13 pm

See, that would have made more sense to me. As it stands, it just doesn't compute. Probably mostly because thinking about it for too long makes me mouth vom slightly. Sorry for any offence caused, it's your choice who you sleep with but don't expect other people to understand it!

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:15 pm

Well there shall be no more VR shagging from this member, I has fiance now...
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

Claire

| 15,814 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 4:17 pm

Lol member.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

15th Mar 2009 at 5:36 pm

Πανδώρα -

we got about £80 out of him for board for the week
even then it didn't happen in the usual meaning of the word

but yeah, as for accusing tabfire
she's far smarter and a better judge of people than to do that thing
*burp*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 2:24 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I can't believe he had such an impact here. I barely remember him at all. I know he liked Sonic and had a brother (I have recently found out he had a sister too) but other than that I never knew the chap at all
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 2:38 pm

Carpet Remnant -

He was the first person to send me a pm after I joined.
It was kind of odd, he quoted sections of my profile at me and then commented on them.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 2:44 pm

Colin -

It was kind of odd, he quoted sections of my profile at me and then commented on them.

What everyone's thinking:
"Did he spoil the punchlines?"
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 3:24 pm

Quote: thelostdude

What everyone's thinking:
"What's his sister look like?"

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 3:37 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

(i think he once said in one of his posts that his sister looked a bit like him.)
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

18th Mar 2009 at 3:41 pm

Jimmy -

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry
(i think he once said in one of his posts that his sister looked a bit like him.)

I kid, I haven't spoken to the guy in a year or more, so I don't know why everyone hates him so much now...

Of course, f*cking your own sister might have something to with that.
I like Jesus but he loves me so it's awkward.

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

21st Mar 2009 at 3:51 pm

Oooh what else has VR done for me?

I have been clubbing and drinking with some of the most awesome people I have ever met

Tuesday night is a tstimony to that- Gillian and I were tanzen, I loved it
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

leenfantterrible

| 1,007 posts

17th Jun 2009 at 5:51 pm

The Terrible Child!

Ahh, if it wasn't for all the traveling and the sneaking about and the great friends you guys made I would have been a very bored teenager.

I went on a lot of the meets in the early days. It's amazing thinking about the stuff we got up to! I remember sitting in the Triangle in Manchester, the York trip, Birmingham.

I miss you guys

leenfantterrible

| 1,007 posts

17th Jun 2009 at 6:01 pm

The Terrible Child!

Also sex map... wonder where I am on there [smiley=Worried.gif]

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

17th Jun 2009 at 10:03 pm

Jewbacca -

Quote: leenfantterrible
Ahh, if it wasn't for all the traveling and the sneaking about and the great friends you guys made I would have been a very bored teenager.

I went on a lot of the meets in the early days. It's amazing thinking about the stuff we got up to! I remember sitting in the Triangle in Manchester, the York trip, Birmingham.

I miss you guys  

Oh gosh, you probably don't remember me, but I was a big fan :-[

Hello
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: