Looking For Healthy Eating Tips

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Alec

| 1,347 posts

22nd Apr 2012 at 7:50 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

My general levels of fitness have dropped noticeably over the past few years, to the point where I'm unable to cope with a brisk walk without having to breathe through my mouth instead of solely through my nose, and I'm gasping for air after short steep hill walks or running for a few seconds. As such, I'm looking to make an effort to get myself back to a reasonable level of health, starting with running laps around a local track, but I also need to change my diet of pies, pizzas and curries, much as I love them.

I will not eat salads, the texture and taste of items such as lettuce and tomatoes are enough to make me retch, and I can't eat any seafood due to allergic reactions, so I'm looking for tips on healthier meat and vegetable dishes. Peas, carrots, leeks, sweetcorn, runner beans are all fine by me, as well as most fruit, so enough variety in those on a day-to-day basis would be appreciated.

I am not looking to lose weight, I'm already thin as a rake, and a weight-loss diet would be unhealthy and likely dangerous to undertake, so a good balance of food groups is needed.

I've also got a limited budget of around £30 a week for food, so nothing too expensive either!

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Apr 2012 at 9:55 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Alec, Apr 2012
My general levels of fitness have dropped noticeably over the past few years, to the point where I'm unable to cope with a brisk walk without having to breathe through my mouth instead of solely through my nose, and I'm gasping for air after short steep hill walks or running for a few seconds. As such, I'm looking to make an effort to get myself back to a reasonable level of health, starting with running laps around a local track, but I also need to change my diet of pies, pizzas and curries, much as I love them.

I will not eat salads, the texture and taste of items such as lettuce and tomatoes are enough to make me retch, and I can't eat any seafood due to allergic reactions, so I'm looking for tips on healthier meat and vegetable dishes. Peas, carrots, leeks, sweetcorn, runner beans are all fine by me, as well as most fruit, so enough variety in those on a day-to-day basis would be appreciated.

I am not looking to lose weight, I'm already thin as a rake, and a weight-loss diet would be unhealthy and likely dangerous to undertake, so a good balance of food groups is needed.

I've also got a limited budget of around £30 a week for food, so nothing too expensive either!

Protein, dude. Fish, chicken, eggs, nuts...

Throw in some carbs too, but keep it wholewheat. Brown bread, brown pasta, brown rice. Just keep portion size under control.

Best advice I can give, join www.myfitnesspal.com. Don't have to stick to it every day, but even just a few days a week for a few weeks will show you what areas you can improve on. Try maintain 40/40/20 Carbs/Proteins/Fats, and make sure you're not eating too few calories either
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

23rd Apr 2012 at 5:08 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Gob, Apr 2012
What do you eat and drink at the moment?

If it's classed as junk-food, I'll have eaten it within the past month. There is some healthy stuff when my mum cooks, but once I finally move out this month, I know I'm going to fall into eating nothing but crap for the most part. When I was at Uni a week's dinners normally consisted of:

MONDAY: Pie/Kiev, chips and baked beans. Sometimes peas/sweetcorn.
TUESDAY: Spaghetti Bolagnese with minimal veg or a general pasta meal. White pasta both times.
WEDNESDAY: Pizza, or Meatballs & white rice
THURSDAY: Pie/Kiev pt. 2
FRIDAY: Spaghetti/Pasta pt. 2
SATURDAY: Pizza/Meatballs and rice pt.2
SUNDAY: Varied

And for lunch at work; two ham and cheese sandwiches - white bread, two sausage rolls, a pepperami and a chocolate bar.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Apr 2012 at 12:28 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Alec did say that he wasn't looking to lose weight, though.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

24th Apr 2012 at 12:34 pm

I aim to misbehave

This must be the most miserable start to a 'Things that make you happy' thread that I've ever seen

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

25th Apr 2012 at 8:44 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Claire, Apr 2012
See my comment about not reading things before commenting You wouldn't lose a tonne of weight from that alone, anyway. Wholewheat is better for your heart, so point still stands.

Yes, i did see it so there's no need to be horrible and patronising. Still, i can hurt myself more than you can hurt me.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

28th Apr 2012 at 5:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: the doc, Apr 2012
Quote:
Lunch(or Dinner as we Mancunians say) wise, it's a bit harder, I know from personal experience that convenience is a massive factor. Maybe try cooking a bit more than you need for your evening meal then have the leftovers for dinner/lunch.

I do this nearly every night of the week.

Phil's pretty much on the money with this stuff. I'd also say if you do eat rice, get the brown stuff, same with pasta. Also, spinach is f*cking great cos it's full of goodness and you can cook it with owt. Tremendous.

Ah, "wholemeal carbs. Is that brown pasta and rice, Phil? Seems my post is redundant. Bet that's never happened before.

Love spinach. Goes with everything. Except peanut butter. DO NOT mix spinach and peanut butter.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

28th Apr 2012 at 8:36 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Claire, Apr 2012
To clarify, I wasn't aiming to be horrible or patronising. I've spent the past God knows how long trying to put the past in the past. I'm genuinely just pointing out how useless I am at paying attention. I'm self deprecating, not you deprecating. Even the rolly eye smiley was aimed at me for being such a turd I didn't even read Alex's post...

I'm truly sorry if you were hurt by my comments, both recently and in the past. If you can't accept that, which I understand, please just go back to pretending I don't exist because I seriously can't deal with affecting your real life over some thoughtless comments on an Internet site. Believe it or not, I have a conscience and I'm kinda sure I'm actually an OK person.

If you're such a nice person then i don't know why you felt the need to swear at me on Twitter. And i'm not a b*st*rd as my parents were married. i'll go back to ignoring you, anyroad; it's better for my mental health.

Edit: Even if you weren't having a go at me on Twitter, you have sometimes made me cry. By sometimes, i mean three times. That's why i tend to think of you as not being a nice person. And i have sometimes avoided/ ignored you but i'm not pretending anything. i think it's understandable that i've avoided/ ignored someone who made me cry.

Edited by Rayanne Graff May 2012

Πανδώρα

| 15,328 posts

19th May 2013 at 1:31 am

Πανδώρα -

Quote: Mr.Tayto, Apr 2012
Quote: the doc, Apr 2012
Quote:
Lunch(or Dinner as we Mancunians say) wise, it's a bit harder, I know from personal experience that convenience is a massive factor. Maybe try cooking a bit more than you need for your evening meal then have the leftovers for dinner/lunch.

I do this nearly every night of the week.

Phil's pretty much on the money with this stuff. I'd also say if you do eat rice, get the brown stuff, same with pasta. Also, spinach is f*cking great cos it's full of goodness and you can cook it with owt. Tremendous.

Ah, "wholemeal carbs. Is that brown pasta and rice, Phil? Seems my post is redundant. Bet that's never happened before.

Love spinach. Goes with everything. Except peanut butter. DO NOT mix spinach and peanut butter.

i... actually really want to try this now.
first chocolate with crisps, now spinach and peanut butter... hmm...
this wasn't worth reviving the thread for at all, i mean i WAS looking for the question thread and ended up here, but... Oh well...

i do like peanut butter...
*burp*

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

One Page