World Cup Thread.

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

18th Jun 2010 at 9:34 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

International retirement for Rooney coming up, anyone? Looks like this year's scapegoat is agreed on, belting.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

18th Jun 2010 at 9:41 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Not so fast! We've already lost the best English player of the last 20 years to international retirement (Scholes), we can't lose another.

And yeah, what's Capello ever won? He's like that lazy n*gg*r* Desailly.

*Don't bother responding to that
Analrapist.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

18th Jun 2010 at 9:48 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

I must admit I thought that outburst was hilarious, a potential T-shirt in the making. The headlines are going to be spectacular tomorrow.

I think it's fair to say much of this current crop of players is just a busted flush - I don't really have anything against Lampard but he in particular has been completely anonymous so far. They're just not a very good side.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

18th Jun 2010 at 9:50 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Heisenberg, Jun 2010
Not so fast! We've already lost the best English player of the last 20 years to international retirement (Scholes), we can't lose another.

And yeah, what's Capello ever won? He's like that lazy n*gg*r* Desailly.

*Don't bother responding to that

Rooney was just caught in the moment, frustrated, played sh*t, no service. at least he didn't kick someone in the groin.

and capello is a turd.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 7:43 am

Chris Kamara -

Not bringing on Joe Cole in either of the last two games is the most astonishing decision I've seen since Steve McClaren took out his umbrella.

England should still qualify but it's only a matter of time before they take a pasting at the expense of a team who can actually finish.

If you think England are bad now, this is nothing. In Brazil 2014 when half the senior players have f*cked off and no decent youth has replaced them, they'll be whipping boys. 2016 will be even worse.

I hope Rooney retires from England. He's obviously not arsed, and I'm only interested in United. I'm sure he's probably regretting his outburst but fact is he and the rest of the team were garbage all game, so the fans are entitled to their opinion. Besides, it was probably less than a quarter that actually booed.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 10:23 am

learrggh -

any interest i've had in watching a game has been killed off because i can't stand the noise from those horns for more than a couple minutes. can't they do something to filter it out from the coverage? it's truly awful.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 12:37 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Professor Frink, Jun 2010
I think the problem is that as a society we seem to have this expectation that we should win. Why? We're sh*t and their are teams that are much better. Some countries are just pleased to graduate past the group stages or even just qualify for the competition at all. But we seem to have this attitude that it's win or bust.

The main reason I have absolutely no interest in it, everyone is approaching it with entirely the wrong attitude and it just saps my enthusiasm.

England are sh*t as a team, but they do have very talented individuals, who for their clubs play very well, and win lots of things. This is why England expect to win.

Also England never seem to over-acheive like some other nations do (France 4 years ago, Germany all the time, etc). With the quality of players England have, they should be getting through to the last 8 at least, with a bit of overachievement the last 4 or the final could be reached.

Quote: Josef Fritzl, Jun 2010
If you think England are bad now, this is nothing. In Brazil 2014 when half the senior players have f*cked off and no decent youth has replaced them, they'll be whipping boys. 2016 will be even worse.

I think you may be right.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 2:00 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Cohesion as a team has been a massive problem for England for almost 15 years now. Despite having a team full of supposed great players, they aren't a team in the way that some sides are. Look at the Germans, always written off because they've not had a side like the 1990 World Cup winners since, yet they're a bloody well gelled team and do well as a consequence. I'm starting to think it's a mentality brought on from the earliest rans of education.

Also, did anyone see that programme on a couple of weeks about the Spanish Cantera systems? England are an entire generation behind the Spanish in terms of organised youth development.

Also also, I've read a couple of interesting articles that spread the 'blame' to opposition teams via Mourinho. Now that good defensive coaching and scientific analysis/organisation is no longer a black art, teams are figuring out effective ways to park the bus.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 2:28 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

[http://i50.tinypic.com/2ntbdph.gif]
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 4:18 pm

I blue myself.

Me too, not sure how either team stayed scoreless in the second half.

England will be ok, they'll win on Wednesday and everything will be forgotten. STOP TALKING ABOUT PASSION, LAWRENSON! It's got nothing to do with that.

Klinnsman speaking sense, currently. It's not Capello. It's not the media. It's not the fans. It's not anything but playing good football on the day.

Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 4:26 pm

I blue myself.

Quote: Ariel, Jun 2010
Quote: Darren, Jun 2010
The main reason I have absolutely no interest in it, everyone is approaching it with entirely the wrong attitude and it just saps my enthusiasm.

This.

I made a comment last night that it makes more sense to put forwards a single whole team from a country during the world cup, since the players are more used to each others styles, habits and abilities. Naturally this wouldn't work since most teams have various international players on the team now... But still, it makes sense. To me at least. As it stands the team is composed of player who, yes they have trained together but its only in preparation for this singular event, add to this the normal interclub rivalries which they must all feel and it means team cohesion could easily be a problem.

Granted, I know all of f*ck all about the sport so will get shot down, but eh.. This is just how I see things.

Neither of you two take any interest in football anyway

I used to be interested in the world cup though, enjoyed watching the matches as I was interested in the outcome unlike club football. Not this time, can't muster any interest in it whatsoever, for the reasons outlined above.

So you can't get into the World Cup because of the attitude of certain England fans? F*ck that man, there are 31 other teams playing in this tournament. And you know what, it's actually getting good now. Apart from England of course, but those of us old b*st*rds that remember 1986 and 1990 know that we often start poorly. Germany and France are in equally dicey positions.....if not worse. So let's stop the over-analysis and just enjoy the ride.

Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 4:30 pm

I blue myself.

Mind you, fans moaning about 'we spent a lot of money to get here' can f*ck right off. No-one compelled you to spend your money on a holiday to South Africa...and I bet it's such a bind being there too. Rooney was f*cked off, he's allowed to be p*ssed off too. FAO: United fans - He still cares for England, bad luck fellas.

Analrapist.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 4:36 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Heisenberg, Jun 2010
Me too, not sure how either team stayed scoreless in the second half.

England will be ok, they'll win on Wednesday and everything will be forgotten. STOP TALKING ABOUT PASSION, LAWRENSON! It's got nothing to do with that.

Klinnsman speaking sense, currently. It's not Capello. It's not the media. It's not the fans. It's not anything but playing good football on the day.

Capello, as the coach is responsible for getting the tactics right, playing the right system to get the best out of his players. Simply put, he got it wrong and didn't do much to change when it was apparent that it wasn't working.

The players were sh*t, granted - but it's the Capello's job to see that they are playing sh*t and change it up. Which he didn't do.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 4:41 pm

I blue myself.

Granted, the lack of Joe Cole was baffling. But there isn't much you can do when the whole team aren't performing. Capello doesn't do knee jerk reactions, he's still got this under control. The post mortem can be done when they're knocked out.

NOW, it's time to Total Wipeout. Ssssh.
Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 7:12 pm

I blue myself.

Come on, George. Be your self and ignore those divs. I've stayed in for both games, I'm still enjoying it. Well, enjoy is a bit strong, but still.
Analrapist.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 8:08 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Cameroon v Denmark has been great entertainment. Some shocking defending on show but it has been far more exciting than some of the sh*tefests we've witnessed so far. The second round of games has been much better than the first.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

19th Jun 2010 at 8:26 pm

I've found it's much more entertaining if you pretend Mick McCarthy is actually the Churchill dog doing commentary.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 3:28 am

Outside-left

Quote: Darren, Jun 2010

This.

I made a comment last night that it makes more sense to put forwards a single whole team from a country during the world cup, since the players are more used to each others styles, habits and abilities. Naturally this wouldn't work since most teams have various international players on the team now... But still, it makes sense. To me at least. As it stands the team is composed of player who, yes they have trained together but its only in preparation for this singular event, add to this the normal interclub rivalries which they must all feel and it means team cohesion could easily be a problem.

Granted, I know all of f*ck all about the sport so will get shot down, but eh.. This is just how I see things.

You'd be surprised actually Darren. I can think of a couple of the great club teams of the past, and they've had strong sections of the team with an international presence, and this has corresponded with the national team of those players doing well. The main example I can think of is the AC Milan team of the late 80s/early 90s. They had the Italian back 4 as their defence, and the 4 best Dutch attacking players leading the charge, and this coincided with the resurgance of the Italian national side, and a brief spell of success for Holland.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 8:22 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

wtf was up with Kaka getting sent off? That was the worst decision I have ever seen, the other guy should be banned for being a lying bit of scum. That's worse than the Rivaldo corner flag incident.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 8:31 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Absolute joke. Felt bad for Kaka, could tell he knew what was about to happen. Shocking decision
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 8:47 pm

I blue myself.

Sven writes: I'll get my c'ote d'Ivoire.

Terrible decision, but it works against the Ivory Coast. Kaka now can't play against Portugal. Brazil starting to get into gear, which looks ominous.
Analrapist.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 11:26 pm

Outside-left

What annoys me the most (10 mins before kick off)

Dan J - What will the score be tonight?
Me - 3-1 Brazil.
Dan J - Yeah I reckon so too.

End result...3-1 Brazil.

Of the the last 6 matches I've gone to see at that pub, I've correctly predicted the score 5 times (and Wayne Rooney's injury vs Bayern Munich). The one time I put money on it, it didn't happen (Bayern to win 2-1, then win on pens).

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 11:39 pm

I blue myself.

Don't get me started.
Analrapist.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 2:55 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

It is really sad Cameroon and North Korea are out, already - they are lots more exciting and interesting than Greece and Switzerland and New Zealand, I think. - They really tried to play, and also they tried lots of different and exciting things, but it did not work so much - lots of defensive teams did not try at-all, but they won and drew - it is really sad, I think. ("it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at-all" (oh gosh - i am sorry i am really silly and pretentious (brackets inside brackets! squee! (i am sorry i am a brackets geek)))).

It is really silly lots of people booed England - it is really spiteful and unfair, I think. England vs. Algeria was really frustrating and disappointing, but I should try to support all my teams, always, I hope.

Also, all the super-slow-motions replays are really cool, I think - it is really neat to see all the muscles and tiny movements and raindrops. They are really beautiful.

Also, also, none of the commentators have said Jo'Burg at-all, yet - it is really disappointing!

Quote: Ariel, Jun 2010
Glad DJ is keeper though.

Clean sheet!
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 6:24 pm

Outside-left

Quote: the doc, Jun 2010

Ref was a disgrace is the Chile game, I thought, totally ruined it for the most part. That Sanchez looks like a right handful, like to see a bit more of him.

He's been a God on the last 3 Football Manager games.

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

Page: