Piracy. The licensing kind.

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Gary

| 3,774 posts

3rd Oct 2006 at 9:46 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

Just curious on people's views.

How wrong is piracy, and can it ever be justified? I'm thinking about both software and music here. How many people on VR do not have any pirated material on their computer? And how many people circumvent copy protection on things like copy protected CDs/DVDs?

Right now I'm running Windows Vista RC1 - legally downloaded from the Microsoft servers with my own licence key as part of the public beta. It's running nicely and doesn't expire until next June. So all nice and legal on that front. The first time I installed Windows on this machine it was a copy of Windows XP Home - from my Mother's computer. It was installed on two different computers, and used the same licence key. When I was no longer able to get updates, I downloaded a copy of Windows XP Pro from the Internet that ignored the whole Genuine Advantage thing.

Windows XP Pro costs about £300. I built this computer on a budget, and didn't get a "free" copy of Windows with it. Although I use my computer a hell of a lot, I couldn't justify paying £300 for an operating system and therefore would never have bought it. And because I would never have bought it, despite the fact that I'm using it anyway, I don't feel Microsoft have lost any money with me using it. I installed Mother's copy because I could. At what point was I wrong - when I installed a copy that had been paid for or when I installed the copy I'd downloaded from the Internet?

I also use Photoshop occasionally. It's a piece of software that costs just shy of £600. I use it for basic editing of pictures - nothing too fancy, and also not that often. Although it's a powerful program, it's not something I'd ever consider buying from a dealer. There are cheaper alternatives (including a few free open Source programs) that do what I need to do. I'm used to using Photoshop from college though. So who's loosing out here - Adobe, even though I wouldn't have ever actually paid £600? The people who make the "lighter" programs, because I'm not going for the legally cheaper option? Or even the developers of the open source programs, because I'm not advocating them so much?

And speaking of open source – I use Linux every now and then. I have it installed on my computer with the option when I turn it on of booting into either Linux or Windows. Apart from running certain proprietary software written for Windows, Linux can do pretty much anything Windows can. It lacks in some areas, but makes up for it in others. So another question – can open source software replace the need for common commercial software, and also is it an alternative that people who pirate software now should be looking in to?

Finally, is there anyone here who can say that there is no illegal material on their computer? I’m talking software, un-licensed music or ripped DVDs, software that serves no purpose other than to do illegal things…?

First person to make a sea pirate joke will be walking the plank :p
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Will

| 6,984 posts

3rd Oct 2006 at 10:29 pm

I copy stuff. Generally, anything I can, I copy. I know it's morally wrong, but I'm fairly reluctant to give in my money to the likes of Microsoft, EA and the **AA. Plus when I had no moneys I didn't really have much choice, apart from going without entertainment.

Well, firstly, with software, I currently use a pirated copy of Windows. Ive had proper copies of Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and XP with various computers, but I can't legally install my copy of XP more than once because it was bought with a computer. So I downloaded it instead. As far as I know, i dont have any other softwarez on my computer at the moment.

As far as music goes, I used to have about 80GB of mp3s before my hard drive went kaput. Mainly because i like listening to all sorts of music and I barely ever listened to most of my music more than once, if that. I couldn't justify the price. Especially when I had no job and ergo no money, I literally couldnt afford music - or anything else I have pirated.

Games.. I don't really play games, and when I do, i'm at LAN parties - so i often copy/crack them at LAN parties. I've also downloaded games in the past that I couldnt find to purchase, like Monkey Island.

DVDs.. I rent DVDs and rip'em. Mainly just so I can get more DVDs out of my time at ScreenSelect. Most of them, I watch once then delete anyway.

I think pretty much anyone who's got the Internet has committed in the gross act of infringement at least once. Remember kids, they're not losing a profit - they're just not gaining a profit.

/pleasedontgetmecopyrightpolice.

Edited by Will Oct 2006

Gary

| 3,774 posts

4th Oct 2006 at 10:27 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

I do the same with the DVD rentals. I'll occasionally back one up to DVD once I've watched it, but mostly it's just so that I can send them back the same day so I get my next batch faster. They're pretty much deleted as soon as they've been watched.
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

4th Oct 2006 at 10:49 pm

equality, tolerance & logic

people make films, books, music for money some people do it because of the love of the medium. In the Star Trek world all mediums are free be it music, films and literature. That was because the technology allowed it to be. In the world of Star Trek there were no or at least very few material Books, music or film material. All known medium was stored on computer thus a lot of space is saved. Although having no material backup is very bad. for example but in reverse.

Imagine if you had a library of books and they were the only copy on Earth.

Rule 1. There should at least be two material copies of every medium in case of loss or damage.

Rule 2. There should at least be two computer copies of every medium in case of loss or damage.

Problems with the idea.

Problem 1. Earth's current technology is not where it should be.

Problem 2. Legal and financial issues involving copy right and all that rubbish.

Problem 3. This is somewhat questionable as it is not reall a problem as such... Humans are materialistic.
Now is that salary pre or post tax?  

100% of Earth's population agrees with the following statement.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th Oct 2006 at 1:42 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Gary

First person to make a sea pirate joke will be walking the plank :p

That would be you, then.

Hoisted by your own petard!

Yarr.

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

One Page